Monday, April 20, 2009

The Fine Art of Roasting Marshmallows

Or...How Not to Burn Your Freaking Tongue

This past weekend the weather did not cooperate - if one was expecting to come back with the beginnings of a tan. But for some odd reason rainy days at Little Sahara was just what I needed. There's something about camping in rainy weather that slows everything down. At least it did for me.

We made a big bonfire Saturday night after a day of slipping and sliding around the dunes. Grilled some steaks, omg these steaks were awesome. We brought a huge tenderloin and cut the steaks and grilled them with some onions. To die for. Anyway, much beer and wine was consumed that night and the bags of marshmallows were brought out. Along with the graham crackers and the Hershey bars - ick. I like my roasted marshmallows straight up. Thankyouverymuch.

Talk evolved to what constituted the perfectly roasted marshmallow. As I've stated elsewhere I'm a hick. Therefore I like mine burnt. Not a little burnt. I'm talking chared, blackened,blow the fire out, crispy on the outside, ooeygooey on the in. In fact I've been know to burn it, pull off the burnt, eat the burnt, burn what's left on the stick, rinse and repeat until there's nothing left.

For the snobs around the campfire, they liked to gently and timidly toast theirs to a golden orb and then delicately take it off the stick and nibble. Ha! I could eat 6 to everyone of theirs. :) Of course by the end of the night we were trying to knock each others 'mallows off the sticks and yelling "Burn in hell you yummy globs of goodness".

And for the snobs amongst you, a nice moscato goes very well with roasted marshmallows.

8 comments:

Swami said...

I'm glad you had a good time!

Ftr - I am a perfect golden brown marshmallow snob. If I accidently set it afire then Tom gets another marshmallow becuz he'll eat anything, even black-burned marshmallows..

I also don't care for 'smores, mostly because of the graham cracker stuff. If there were a way to melt chocolate over the marshmallow & eat the duo together sans cracker then I would be in heaven!

kim (weltek) said...

Mmmm, grilled steaks.

I am one of those golden brown mallow snobs. Luckily they are cheap, so I don't hesitate to sacrifice a burnt one.

Anonymous said...

I'm a golden brown myself. However, I can burn it, remove the char and eat the inside.

Conner would absolutely love you for talking about s'mores, as they are his favorite snack.

I was thinking about a "camp" theme birthday party for him this year, complete with s'more making. There is a cute little Stampin' Up stamp set that has such a stamp.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I've done camping in the rain (*glares at Kim*). Twice (*glares again*). I have no desire to do it again, but I would have joined you for one of those steaks.

Tummy said...

I can't believe I'm surrounded by such Marshmallow Snobs! Sheesh. :)

kim (weltek) said...

Yes, Boo, a camping party is probably the closest you'll get to the real thing for awhile. :-)

Swami said...

You need to invite my Tom. When a marshmallow catches fire & then actually falls into the flames he will pick it off the coals & eat it anyway if he can. Because like most farm boys he was raised to waste nothing.

Anonymous said...

So Tummy, I went to the store last night and there was a S'Mores display. Conner was with me, so of course I had to buy the stuff.