Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Happiness and Unhappiness

I went to bed last night with a skip in my step and a smile on my face. I was so happy and pleased with my country lastnight. The fact that we got past the issue of race to elect to the Presidency a man of color that I pray will lead this country back to goodness. I couldn't quit grinning, I thought.....we've done good.

And then this morning I wake up to news that Prop 8 in California might pass and realized there's still alot of tarnishment on the shine that an Obama win put back on my view of the USA. I know African-Americans have been fighting for equality in the open for longer than gay and lesbians, but I hope we don't stand on the sidelines and watch this struggle for as long as we have with African Americans.

I watched one black soldier that was interviewed this morning and with tears in his eyes he said he can now believe that America believes that all men are created equal. I think....not yet. But hopefully soon.

4 comments:

Breezy said...

Great post.

I agree we made a step forward, but we still have a ways to go.

frodis said...

One step. Many more are needed, but we have one.

kim (weltek) said...

Well said. I'm very proud Obama mentioned gay/straight in his speech last night.

Cutsy said...

great post tummy. I was thinking about you when we were watching the results for Ok come in.