Tuesday, October 19, 2010

I'm 48 - REALLY?

What the hell happened and where did 20 years of my life go? I don't feel 48, well maybe I do, but when you're 28 you think 48 is oooollllld. And I don't feel oooolllld. We're not counting those mornings, mkay?

Anywhoos, the birthday day was fun. Cook out on the river. Rob made fried mushrooms and balsamic onions and grilled sliders on Hawaiian rolls. It was a beautiful day and the river was peaceful. Had a good croquet match. I will never be generous with Dennis Patrick again and that boy is being "sent" anytime I get the chance!

Kayla's counts are still very low - 275. To start this next round of chemo they need to be 750. They're giving her another week off. The Dr said counts are usually this low at this point in the treatment but that given that they gave her last week off treatment she was hoping to see a bigger bounce back. That's worrisome. And I hate that she has such low counts now that flu season is kicking off. So say some prayers or send good thoughts.

I'm in the process of crocheting scarves for Christmas. I was in the mall a few weeks ago and it looked like crocheted scarves were "in". So for my twin nieces and Bre I'm crocheting scarves for their stocking stuffers. I purchased some very funky and fun yarn online and I have all these buttons from my grandmother so I'm going to use a few in each scarf as adornment.

I bought a black leather shag rug for the living room. Deep cleaning before I put it down. Hopefully the dogs doesn't think it's one big chew toy. I have one under the dining room table that they leave alone but it's smaller and sits underneath something. I don't have a coffee table yet so it'll be wide open.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember when I thought 38 was old. I agree with you on time flying. I am glad you enjoyed your birthday. I haven't played croquet in so so long.

I'm sorry to hear about Kayla's counts. I will continue to keep her in my thoughts. My assistant is back in the hospital because her cancer has come back - only three months after her last chemo. I do not know what will happen at this point.

Kayla has AML, yes? Is there subtype with hers? My assistant has the subtype M5.

I'm starting to get excited for Christmas.

Swami said...

Happy Birthday! At 48 you are still officially a baby. No one is old until they pass 50 (aka 'halfway').

What's the name of your river again? I am feeling geographically challenged just now. Being over 50 & stuff....

Tummy said...

Boo - Kayla has ALL. Which would be better except for her age group. No sub-type but she is negative for the Philadelphia chromosome which is great.

I'm sorry to hear that about your assistant. I'll keep her in my thoughts also.

Swami - the Illinois. We're sandwiched between the Arkansas River which is over by Tulsa and the Illinois River which is closer to Arkansas. Go figure. :D

frodis said...

I'm glad you had such a great birthday! I want to come to a gathering at your house someday - your food selections always make me hungry.

Really sorry to hear about Kayla's counts. It has to be so hard for her to deal with all of this, when your life is reduced to counts and tiny increments of time where you don't know what's going to happen next week, especially when you're a kid and time seems like it goes so slowly anyway.

I want to learn how to sew. I know zero about sewing but it seems like fun. I don't know how to crochet, either. Or knit. I do know how to needlepoint and latch hook so I'm not totally craft-challenged, just mostly.

Puffy said...

I hope you have a black dog to shed on that black rug. The girls will treasure the scarves with grandma's buttons in them. I want to play croquet; used to do it a lot with the kids in the backyard. Happy Birthday! Good luck to Kayla; good thoughts sent her way.

kim (weltek) said...

You can't be 48! No way! You still look too hot and act too awesome to be that old.

I love those rugs. I need a picture!

*hugs to Kayla*