Monday, October 4, 2010

Date Day

Rob and I had kind of disconnected lately. He was busy, I was busy - it happens sometimes. So we decided we just needed an US day yesterday.

So we got up early and headed into Tulsa. The State Fair was in town so we thought we go to that and be open to anything else.

You have to pass by a Bass Pro Shop to actually get to Tulsa from our house. Lucky me. So Rob looks longingly so being the good wife that I am, we exit and go. I'm a watcher, meaning I like to watch people and either a) make up their life story - this is highly entertaining sitting in an airport lounge. Except you wouldn't believe how many international spies pass thru our airports! And not all of them are handsome. Or b)watch how they interact with their families and surroundings.

I decided after finding a cozy bench on the second floor that overlooks the lower floor that there are four types of men that go to Bass Pro Shop. There are the hunters, there are the fishermen, there are the hunter/fishermen and then there are the guys that heard that if you have a penis and two balls that you should WANT to go to Bass Pro Shop but get there and wonder what all the fuss is about.

I did witness a charming scene of a father and son playing a game of checkers. Or....it was some pervert trying to kidnap a kid. Hmmmm.

Then we stopped at a party store and picked up shot glasses for the party next weekend. And killed about an hour in Barnes and Noble. I love their comfy chairs!

Then off to the fair we went. Us and EVERYONE else in and around the state! Parking was horrendous. But it was all worth it when the ticket woman told me I had great hair! :D

I should never be allowed to go to a fair. Ever - it's dentrimental to my health - I tried chocolate covered bacon and took one bite - ok, two - bites of a hamburger who's bun was a - ok, two - krispy creme doughnuts. But I balanced it out with a roasted ear of corn and a freshly squeezed lemonade.

It's also detrimental to my pocketbook. I'm a self confessed kitchen gadget whore. *hangs head I can't help it. Those hawkers are hypnotists. My steps faulter even with Rob pulling me along and pretty soon I'm at a complete stop. Then my head starts nodding in agreement when they're telling me I can't live without The Miracle Kitchen Whiz, or whatever that piece of plastic that now resides in my cabinet is called. It's not until the next morning that their spell wears off and I feel a little disoreinted and wonder where that Whiz came from!

After sitting in the beer garden and trying a Scottish lager, not bad, we wandered back to the car. Broke, tired but reconnected. Yay us.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL at the people of Bass Pro. I totally get that. I wonder if the Checkers Duo was part of your last category.

Apparently the restaurant is pretty good. I've never eaten there.

We too went to the fair. I did fairly well. I only ate a piece of a funnel cake and the filling of a steak & cheese. I really didn't eat the bread - I ate the filling with a fork. I also ate half of Conner's pizza.

We dealt with the same traffic as you and the same crowd. It rained for four days last week, so we really dealt with a crowd.

Speaking of Conner and the fair, I didn't do so well. I rode one ride with him, and good thing. His poor little head and neck were being jerked around. I felt like I had to hold his head in place or it would fly off. I then had a panic attack when he rode some other ride that he laid on and appeared to fly. I actually had to walk away and told Michael to wait for him to get off. There was no way I could watch him fly off into oblivion.

While I was gone, he got off of that one and onto some other ride that spins you around so fast you stick to the wall. He rode that 3 times. I panicked 3 more times.

Tummy said...

The Checkers Duo were definitely in the fishermen group. And I think the father was getting an early start on brainwashing the kid. :D

Was the pizza deep fried on a stick. If not then I give you cudos.

Lol - I hate to laugh at you about the panic attacks but I will anyway. At least you let him ride, I know some moms that won't.

Btw - COLORS ARE NOT FLAVORS!

Puffy said...

State Fairs probably compete with each other to see who can sell the most unusual food.

Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

The food vendors had some sort of drug in the deep frying oil that hypnotized you into believing you had to buy all the kitchen gadgets... I have not been to state fair in Years!