Monday, December 1, 2008

Aftermath

Well, after hitting post before I actually said anything I'll try this again.

I hope everyone had a nice, relaxing weekend.

I had a housefull. Rob, my sister, twin nieces, brother and sil all have been here since Wed night. My house is a tiny little two bedroom cabin, with one little bathroom. This weekend was an adventure, especially when we broke out the beer and wine :)

We cooked and ate and played games. We discussed politics without screaming ( my Mom and Dad and a couple of our friends came over Saturday to eat and play games - we were discussing politics and Obama's win and he said that something I said to him over the summer made him take another look at Obama and reassess him. That made me happy)

Funniest moment - we were playing Beyond Balderdash and the answer was July 18th, 1980. My mother wrote "The day the Fourth of July was celebrated that year because of rain." I laughed so hard, but I think it was just one of those silly moments because nobody else thought it was quite that funny.

I made a carrot cake, first ever from scratch, with pineapple and nuts and coconut. My sil brought one (we didn't know each other was doing a carrot cake) with raisins. If you smooshed them both together they were fabulous. :) My brussel sprouts were a hit, btw.

Bre called, their showers are broken and they had just finished eating...and I quote...."some pressed turkey with jelly gravy, cold green beans something congealed on top, instant cold mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie which she hates and gave to Jimmy." That child is going to shrivel up and blow away. I didn't have the heart to tell her I was about to cut into a slice of carmeled apple pie. She did get her package from me that day though and shared her hot cocoa mix, said it was a hit so I will be sending more.

Mike's grandmother passed away a few days before Thanksgiving, he's torn up about not being able to be there. I called his mom, she's having a harder time than I am with this deployment. I feel bad for her. She wants him to get out, while I think once they're done with Iraq I'd like Bre to stay in. Right now she's thinking she's going to go Reserves and finish college then go back to full time as an officer. Her time in will still count towards retirement so she would be 40 and eligible for retirement. But it's their call.

Rob just left a little while ago, so my house has gone from full and rambunctous to quiet and lonely :(

Three more weeks and his lease will be finished. Yay. Hopefully the lease payout is what we expect and he can take some time finding a job or a company where he's home more.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

*hugs* to Bre.

I would have probably laughed at that answer too. I love Balderdash. Love,love, love it.

Oh, to have an empty house.

Puffy said...

It sounds like a fun weekend, especially once it's over. I love games but hardly anyone I know likes to play them.

Bravie said...

It sounds like a nice weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed that Rob finds something that provides more home time. *smooch*