Thursday, January 22, 2009

Family Medicine

My mother goes in to have a total hip replacement this Friday - she wasn't scheduled until June but the Dr had a cancellation so she got moved up. Yay! Also, we had to agree that one of us would stay with her and perform nurse aide duties until she's discharged as she will be on an understaffed floor. If no one could have stayed she would have had to wait until this summer. *sigh I'm glad both of my nieces are going to be nurses - less than 1 semester until they're both done. Yay.

I'll stay up at the hospital with her until she's released, hopefully Monday. From there she goes to my brother's house (heehee) for three weeks. I "get" to take care of her cats. I think I got the better end of the deal. *grin Not that I don't love my mother but she's a big whinebag where any and I do mean any amount of pain is involved.

While she's gone I take my dad over to the VA hospital for a consult on his prostrate cancer. His PSA test came back bad so he had a biopsy done week before last and it came back cancerous. *sigh Personally, I'm not even sure why he had the biopsy done. I've posted before that he smokes heavily, eats horribly for an insulin dependent diabetic and has about a 28% heart function. *shrug

The Tulsa Home and Garden show is in town this weekend. Do you think anyone will notice if I sneak out from the hospital and go?

3 comments:

~Nutz said...

You should definitely sneak out. If anyone catches you, just tell them you have to run some errands.

*hugs*

Puffy said...

Well, I'm glad that it isn't you who was getting an operation. Don't you need one, though? I thought perhaps it was going to be you.

I hope your mom has a quick and easy recovery. Thank goodness she'll be at your brother's house, though. I hope your dad's situation won't be debilitating, either.

You're, uh, um, going to the home and garden show so you can bring back some flowers for your mom, right?

I sent you a PM.

Swami said...

Suddenly I feel lucky to live surrounded by fully staffed hospitals.

Of course you should go to the Home & Garden Show for a bit unless your mom is really medically needy. When I had my knee replacement I just wanted to sleep all day anyway. Do you get a catheter for hip replacement? I would think so - at least for the first day or two. Bring back a little treat to leave at the nurses station.