Friday, September 26, 2008

Bre

Bre left for Iraq yesterday. She flew out of Maryland to Germany where she had a 3 hours layover then on to Kuwait where she will be for 3 days.

I spoke to her right before she got on the plane and then she texted me when she was seated. And then I cried :) She called when she got to Germany for a few minutes and that will be it for a while.

She's not sure where she'll be based, so we're not sure how many amenities she'll have. It could run the gamut of internet access in her bunk to a few minutes a month phone call. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's the first.

She did get to come in for 3 days last week, which was great! But it was hard to put her back onto the plane and watch her go. I haven't cried since she went to Hawaii for the first time and she was 18 then. I did wait until she was out of sight before tearing up, and then when I got to the car I kind of had a breakdown moment. I figured I'd get it out before getting on the highway, so I'm weeping and someone scares the crap out of me by tapping on the window. It was a police officer and his drug dog. He asked if I was ok, I cried "I just watched my daughter leave and she's going to Iraq". He backed away rapidly, told me to take my time and said he would patrol near until I was ready to leave. He was cute.

I plan on posting some pictures taken while she was here, but right now I'm being lazy.

Mike left Monday and they will be on different bases dammit. But she does have a "battle buddy", hey that's what the service called him! His name is Jimmy, he's 6'6" and 235 lbs. He's married and treats her like a little sister. He told me he's instructed her that if she needs to go to the bathroom at night she's to get him up and he will walk with her, and pleaded she keep it to once a night. They bought walkie talkies so he can keep track of her. I think I love him :) I hate to admit, but her safety ON base is one of my greater worries. Isn't that awful?!

For those of you that are interested in sending books and things, even if you'd like to send generic stuff that she could disperse to everyone, let me know thru pm and when I get it I will give you the address. I'm only going to give the address to people I know, so if you're a stranger that's by chance reading this...move along. Of course I will give it to strange people I know which includes all of you :)

I hate knowing I can't pick up the phone and call her.

14 comments:

dragonflies said...

*hugs* Tummy.

If she does have email access, have everyone you know email her as much as possible. I was the only one in my family who kept up a constant stream of email convo with my cousin when he was in Iraq. After he came home he said it meant more to him than all the packages. Well, except for the coffee and cookies I sent.

Tummy said...

Thanks df. I can't imagine my child liking the emails more than packages *grin she's too much like her Mom. But will do, who knows I've been wrong before.

MM said...

{{hugs}}

I can't even imagine what you're going through. My thoughts are with you, and everyone over there.

Anonymous said...

Oh Tummy, I'm so sorry. I can't imagine either, and this post has actually brought tears to my eyes.

*hugs*

frodis said...

Tummy, what kind of books does she like?

Bravie said...

*hugs*

arkie said...

*hugs*

Tummy said...

Fro - anything and everything

And I'm sure if something is sent that she doesn't read there will be someone on base that will.

She called at 5 am to tell me she'd made it into Kuwait where she will be for a few days before heading into Iraq. And..that they have a McDonalds. *snort

She sounded very tired and said it was very hot over there. It must be really hot as that child is always cold.

Thanks for all the hugs, they're nice.

lights said...

Oh Tummy. *huge hugs* I can't even imagine how difficult this is for you. *sobs*

My SIL's brother, who is also a friend of ours, left for Afghanistan last week. I spoke to her yesterday and thought of you.

Puffy said...

Oh, I'm tearing up as I read this. The battle buddy is such a great idea.

I'll email her, if she has access. And of course, send me a PM with her regular address so I can send packages.

Oops, I misread and thought that Fro asked what kind of boobs Bre liked. It was books, not boobs.

Breezy said...

*big hugs* I think the emails help a little because there's no lag time. She won't feel as isolated and far away.

Let me know what I can send over. Favorite cookies, drinks, anything.

I cross my fingers everyday that my bro won't have to go back over there.

Zombs said...

*hugs* Tummy.

Both you and your daughter have my respect and admiration. Thank you.

We all will worry with you. We all will adopt her as our cyberdaughter. We can pull our motherly vibes together.

Smooch to you and her.

kim (weltek) said...

*hugs* I think I love Jimmy, too. How awesome she got a good buddy.

I would love to send Bre and her friends some things. Please let us know the types of things they'd find useful or fun. I'm sure it all depends on where she ends up. Some bases are pimped out. Others, not so much. And let us know what we can't send. I thought some Onion newspapers would be fun for kiddos (we get stacks here at work), but am not sure they'd be allowed (all the satrical stuff). I know I'd LOVE to get them if I were in their shoes.

maroonclown said...

Here's hoping she ends up in one of those "pimped out" places, Tummy.

If not, it sounds like she's going to have a lot of aunties ready to send her and her mates some good stuff.

{{{hug}}}