Thursday, August 19, 2010

Divorcing a Sister

I think it should be legal.

I don't even know where to start. My sister and I have not always had a good relationship but over the past few years I thought we'd become close, or at least as close as we'd ever be.

Even though I totally disagree with her relationship with a married man I haven't shunned her and when she's needed to talk I listen. I don't sugar-coat how I feel about what she's been doing but I don't damn her either. And my door has always been open when she's needed somewhere to escape to, which she has used frequently over the past two years, sometimes for weeks at a time.

So the recent issue started when I went with Ashley down to Dallas. That was the week that the boyfriend was with his legitimate family in Mexico on vacation. In the past she's always crashed at my house during those times. I didn't invite her to go with us to Dallas, in fact I didn't even think about it, and if I had I wouldn't have anyway. She's never shown an interest in softball, she's only met Ash twice, and it would have been like keeping a 3 year old entertained while we were down there.

The next issue she has is that even though she didn't show up once to help with the renovation of our mother's kitchen her nose is out of joint about not being invited to the celebratory float trip. Ok, she showed up once. Dressed to the nines, sat and talked for an hour or so and then said she had plans and had to leave. All while my brother and I cut tile and hung backboard and sweated our butts off in 100 degree heat. And in all honesty - I knew she'd be upset over not being invited and I didn't care.

So now she's not talking to me for slights she's made into molehills. And has texted me that I don't understand what has happened and that she's traumatized. Whut?! About what? When asked to explain she says she doesn't want to add to MY plate. What the hell? She uses sentences like "it takes me back to some memories from some place I don't even know". Again - whut?! My not inviting you to Dallas where I'm taking care of Kayla's big sister at a week long softball tournament and then not inviting you to a float trip where you really didn't deserve an invite has traumatized you? I wish I had her problems, but I think I could handle it alot better.

I just can't deal with her drama right now. I think the problem is she's not the center of attention, any attention.

So do you think that if I say "I divorce you, I divorce you, I divorce you" it will work.

Yeah, I didn't think so. And I'm sure this will just be a footnote at some point. But thanks for letting me rant.

8 comments:

maroonclown said...

That sucks.

Problem is we can't pick our family, like we can our friends.

kim (weltek) said...

Ugh. She's being a real drama queen, isn't she? Keep doing what you are doing and as you said, this will end up a footnote. *hugs*

frodis said...

So she's not talking to you but she's texting you cryptic messages? Sounds like she needs a GTFU message. (G=grow.)

I work with my family so there are regular off-pissings. Some worse than others. It does blow over eventually but I agree that sometimes it would be easier to just not be related.

*hug*

Swami said...

Sisters sure know how to pull our strings at times, don't they?

I have always been very happy that my drama queenish sister (who, btw, has no idea she is a drama queen) lives 2 days drive away. Distance is a good solution. If she lived any closer I might have killed her by now.

Tummy said...

I love you guys. Just sayin'. Can I adopt you as my sisters?

Swami said...

*checks the map*

Yup!!! (jk) (about the map) (sisters can do that)

Puffy said...

I'll be your sister and our sisters can be sisters. Done.

Tummy said...

I accept Puffmeister! :)