Monday, July 26, 2010

Softball, heat and stink

Saturday before last Lori called and asked if I could accompany Ashley to Dallas for her 3 day softball tournament on Tuesday. Originally she, Ashley and Kayla were suppose to go, but.... And then Lori's day was going to take her but his doctor nixed that idea on Friday. It's not often that when you tell someone "if there's anything I can do just let me know", so when asked there wasn't hell or high water that could have kept me from going.

I arranged with my offices to work from the hotel, packed Sunday and crammed about 4 days worth of work into Monday. And then we were off come Tuesday morning with the jeep crammed full of coolers, softball stuff and not enough clothes. I told Ash there were only 4 rules, listen to her coach, listen to me, no "L" word or "C" word talk and have fun.

Wednesday was Six Flags, where I kept up with the teenagers (I did take a 30 minute break), rode rides and wore myself out. Team dinner at the Olive Garden. Thursday the tournament started. We were at the fields from 6:30 am to almost 10 that night, luckily we had a breeze and some cloud cover. But I still didn't have a thread of dry clothing on me. Won 3 out of 4 games. Friday was blazing hot, thank goodness for snow cones! Out at the fields from 12 to 8ish, again not a dry thread on me. Not only am I quickly running out of clothes but the hotel room is starting to smell like a man's lockerroom. At a late dinner at IHop and fell into bed. A few of the softball mom's have adopted me as one of their own by this time, which made it a more pleasant trip. Of course I didn't give them much of a choice, it's kind of hard to ignore the crazy woman sitting in your midst yelling for all your kids. Saturday we're still in play and it's way hot and again thank goodness for snow cones. We made it to 5th place out of 23 teams. Ashley played great and had an awesome time.

We got home yesterday about 4 pm and I wanted to collapse but laundry was screaming my name.

Kayla's third treatment of chemo is scheduled for tomorrow. She's still mad at the world at this point. But it seems she's responding well to the chemo. No hair loss as of yet. That will be the next big hurdle.

6 comments:

kim (weltek) said...

That was the perfect way to be a HUGE help. *hugs* You are awesome. Smelly, but awesome. :-)

Tell Kayla you'll take her wig shopping and she can get some crazy hair.

Swami said...

Wow - that's help with a capital H! You're pretty awesome!

I hate, hate sitting in the hot sun! Did you at least have some shade? I've never been to a Six Flags.

Wig shopping, crazy hat shopping - they're all good. If she loses her hair is anyone getting a buzz cut to match her?

Tummy said...

I'm talking Ash into starting a Facebook page to get friends, classmates and family to send in hats and scarfs. I may do something like that on OT, asking for regional stuff. It might be fun to try and get hats from all 50 states.

Kayla's grandmother is the head seamstress/costumer for the Tulsa Ballet and has a ton of wigs for her to pick from.

We've talked about shaving and we've talked about shaving on her birthday as a fund raiser. Like the 46 Moms Shave for the Brave. We'll see. and see how she takes it.

Swami - we did have some shade. Everyone liked field 3 because it had some good shade. I used sunblock but forgot my lips so I know have Angelina lips from being sunburned. :)

Silvergirl said...

You're an angel, not an Angelina. I hope your lips heal. (((Hugs)))

kim (weltek) said...

Hats from every state would be fun!

Puffy said...

What a good friend you are!